Saturday, February 9, 2013

Cidre-palooza 2013: Rouen


All the buildings looked like they could have housed Snow White.

Le Gros Horloge (The Big Clock)
cidre cidre everywhere

True.

Caramel au beurre salé + Chantilly (whipped cream, but somehow better)= perfect happiness.

oh hai

PAELLA! and potatoes.
Last weekend, I enjoyed my first opportunity to venture outside of Paris and see another city in France, Rouen. Anne and I took the train there on Friday, around lunchtime, and we stayed there until early afternoon on Sunday. Rouen was GREAT, though the weather was not. We arrived to a gray and rainy day (nothing new there), and for the rest of the time it was really just cold and windy, necessitating my dalmatian hat--hard to explain, but I will try to post a picture of it. I get a lot of comments on it, but it's warm and fuzzy and the earflaps help drown out the haterz.

Lots of strolling down cobblestone streets, lots of market-meandering, and most importantly, lots of cidre. Always creatures of habit (granted, newly-formed French habits) Anne and I found a crêperie that we fell in love with just off the square with the beautiful Cathedral, and we ate dinner there both nights. I miss it already.

It was definitely nice to escape to a quiet, smaller town after the start of classes and real life (gross). It felt just like being on vacation. We stayed in a super cheap but nice hotel on the edge of town a bit, but the coffee machine was awesome so we were pleased, and the town was so charming that nothing could rouen our visit (see what I did there?). Hopefully, we'll be back relatively soon for the Impressionism festival in the Spring!

P.S. Dried pear is awesome. Livarot cheese is less so.

No comments:

Post a Comment