Sunday, May 5, 2013

Food Markets of Paris: I love you.

Done with school! I can't believe it, especially considering that this means I now have about a month to kill in Paris--challenge accepted. The weather has finally turned more spring-ish, so all those outdoor activities I have been saving for a sunny day can begin. Yesterday, for example, I took Jared (my current visitor, blog post to come!) to see the Jardins de Luxembourg, and I was hit with the realization that it was my first time visiting them without rain or snow! I was baffled by how many people were out and about, because I am so used to wandering the streets nearly alone, teeth a-chatterin'.

This great weather also makes my beloved open-air markets even more fun to browse. As I write this, I am hurrying so that I can make it to my favorite, at Place d'Aligre in the 11th, as per my Sunday morning routine. I got to write about the culture of the markets here versus in the US as part of my final research for one of my classes, but the photos that constitute my "research" are to beautiful to be tucked away in a folder:

ERMAGURD 'shrooms.

Marché Avenue de Saxe, Thursday and Sunday mornings, M: Ségur. One of my favorites because of it's beautiful view of the tower, where I like to picnic afterwards. Heaven.

The beautiful offerings of my ruddy-cheeked cheese lady at marché Avenue de Saxe. Coulommiers is comparable to Brie, and Mont D'or was a hot item about a month ago before it went out of season. You can buy one of those little wooden rounds of it and stick that baby right in the oven for fondue (ohhhhh yeahhhhh).

CREAM

Quail eggs! These are one of the next things on my list to cook, but they are just so tiny and delicate.


Real-sized dogs are tough to find in France. This guy was DROOLING over the meat...but I guess so was I, so no judgement.

Moroccan pastries at marché de la Bastille, near my house. I usually run over there on Thursday mornings.
P.S. Cheese.
P.S.S. Dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment